If you’re just starting out with CBD, or looking to make it a more formal part of your daily routine, how much should you take? It’s a question that has a lot of different answers—simply because we’re all different.
How you metabolize CBD is determined by several factors. The most significant factors are the intake method (ingested, inhaled, topical) and the amount. In addition, metabolization can be affected by things like age, genetics, preexisting conditions, and/or concurrent medications.
That’s why it’s good practice to consult with your physician or another trusted health professional before you incorporate CBD into your life.
So, there’s no one-size-fits-all amount of CBD to take. But there are some sound principles you can apply as you explore and find your ideal intake. The most important is to start with a low amount of CBD and increase your consumption slowly.
Oil drops are a great way to start exploring CBD, because the dropper makes it easy to measure exact amounts. We recommend you:
- Start low, with ½ dropper (.5 mL) twice a day, for a daily total of 25 mg.
- If you’re using the extra strength oil drops, start with ¼ dropper twice a day, for a daily total of 25 mg.
- Go slow, gradually increasing until it feels right for you.
Softgels are a convenient way to ensure you get a consistent amount of CBD every time, without measuring. We recommend you:
- Start low with 1 softgel (25 mg) per day
- We recommend you start with 25 mg softgels, then move up to 50 mg softgels for convenience, once you find your ideal intake
- Go slow by gradually increasing until it feels right for you
If you reach your ideal intake easily with standard softgel measures (25 mg or 50 mg), you may eventually find it more convenient to transition to extra-strength softgels.
Gummies are a great-tasting way to ensure you get a consistent intake of CBD every time, without measuring. We recommend you:
- Start low with 2 gummies (10 mg each for a total of 20 mg) per day
- Go slow by gradually increasing the number of gummies per day until it feels right for you
Some people find it necessary to combine formats to reach their ideal intake. For example, you might supplement softgels with oil drops or gummies; it all depends on what feels right for you.
A few more principles and best practices to keep in mind:
Limit variables by taking your CBD at the same time every day. A lot of people start in the evening, when they’re relaxed.
Tracking how you feel 3–5 hours after taking your CBD will help you find the best amount and timing for you.
It may take several weeks to find your ideal intake, but that’s okay: Optimal holistic health is a marathon, not a sprint.